Frequently Asked Questions
1. AIMS: What are the aims in counselling?
The Counsellor aims to provide you with a trustworthy and confidential opportunity, for you to explore your thoughts and feelings in a safe and secure environment. Your needs come first and therefore will be helped through this process without judgement or giving advice. The Counsellor will help you to work toward self-awareness and help to promote change, with clarity of thought and positive decisions. You are responsible for yourself and your own reactions and you have the freedom of choice. You will be allowed to work through things in your own time and space, but if mistakes are made, you will be helped to explore and work them through.
You may be given homework, when working with the CBT Approach, where you may be given a handout or where you may be given specific tasks and exercises to do at home. You will be expected to perform the tasks and exercises, in order that these may help you manage and improve your situation.
2. AGE LIMIT: Who can seek counselling? Do you have any age limit?
We see anyone from the age of 12 plus, including young people, adults and the elderly.
3. BOUNDARIES: What are counselling boundaries?
Boundaries are secure measures, put in place to adhere by, for safe practice, which protect both client and counsellor, while they work together. These boundaries are discussed with the client during the initial assessment, before the therapy commences.
The counselling relationship between counsellor and client will remain professional at all times. There will be no physical contact (face-to-face) or inappropriate interactions between counsellor and client during, and after sessions.
If at any time the counsellor feels that you could benefit from a referral, you will be offered to see a specific professional, according to your need(s), who will offer you more prolonged and in-depth help.
4. CONFIDENTIALITY: Do you work confidentially with clients?
All work done together between counsellor and client remains confidential. Counsellors reserve the right to break confidentiality in the following circumstances:
• Please bear in mind that supervision will be ongoing after the sessions. The counsellor attends regular supervision sessions, to discuss client work with a supervisor. However, to ensure confidentiality, you will only be identified by using a code number or your initials or first name only.
• If the information you provide involves an immediate threat to your own life or health, or to someone else. The Counsellor reserves the right to report the information to your GP, the police, or the emergency services. However, before taking this course of action, this will be discussed with you, first.
5. APPROACH: What is your counselling approach?
We offer counselling services for a range of problems, using a Humanistic Integrative approach: CBT Approach, Gestalt, Person-centred, Psychodynamic, TA.
6. AVAILABILITY: Are there counsellors readily available to see me, if I were to schedule a few sessions?
Yes, we will endeavour to see you as soon as possible, for an initial assessment. Once this has been established, you will be allocated a space, when one is available, to start your counselling therapy.
7. QUESTIONS: Do you have complaint procedures?
If there is anything you are not sure about, please do not hesitate to ask questions or to let the counsellor know.
Should you wish to make a complaint about the service you have been offered, please discuss the issue with your Counsellor.
8. PROFESSIONALISM: What ethical standards do you adhere by?
We adhere by the BACP ethical framework of good practice and also abide by the ACC professional code of Christian ethics. These standards and guidelines are available at ACC and BACP.
9. FEES: What sort of fees do you charge per session?
Counselling Fees are reasonably priced and you can contact us for more information. However, during the initial assessment, based on your income and circumstances, an agreement can be made between you and your Counsellor, for you to pay only what you can realistically afford, for each consecutive session.
10. GROUP THERAPY: What is Group Therapy?
Group Therapy is designed for people who prefer an open group support facility, whether for an individual or for a couple (there are 2 separate groups - couples group and individual group).
The benefits of Group Therapy:
• Different perspectives gained from other group members; there is mutual support & identifying with others; it gives a sense of hope for participants;
• Clients are able to learn from others and how they have dealt with similar situations;
• It involves social modelling, where there is an opportunity to practice skills in a safe setting – (the group itself);
• It involves helping others and gaining a sense of esteem; becoming 'own therapists' and perhaps asking right “therapy questions”.
(For registration, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org)
11. HOME VISITS: Can I arrange to have home visits?
Home visit counselling therapy is available for those living within a radius of 3 miles from Lewisham Central, who are unable to travel outside their homes, especially for the elderly or those with physical or medical disability.
As part of our diverse counselling service, this unique service is provided for those individuals facing challenging personal circumstances in their lives.
It is tailored to include people who are incapable of leaving their homes or who may feel ostracized or isolated from counselling services, which could assist in helping and supporting them.
This service also extends to parents with very young babies, who find it difficult in getting childcare, especially in the evenings after work (Mon-Fri).
During your initial half-hr session, an agreement can be made, between you and your counsellor (CRB or DBS checked & approved) for you to conduct your counselling therapy, in the comfort of your home (short-term or long term).
Your counselling therapy will last for a duration of 50 mins. per session. Additionally, a 20% discount will be offered for a block of 10 sessions (low-income).
12. OTHER ISSUES: Do you have issues that are not allowed to be discussed in therapy?
The counselling service does not allow discussion on the following: sex therapy, murder and crime, as these are not our areas of specialty.
13. MOBILE PHONES: Can I use my mobile phone or answer an expected call?
We would prefer that mobile phones not be used during sessions, but should be turned off. In case of an emergency, please put the phone on vibration sound.
14. MULTICULTURALISM: What is multicultural counselling?
The Counsellor is professionally equipped with a multicultural approach, to work with the client of a different cultural background. His/her unique history and culture are taken into account, using multicultural knowledge, understanding, and skills to help the client manage and cope with his/her presenting issues, from the client’s cultural standpoint.
The client is accepted and his/her world is seen from his/her perspective and frame of reference. The Counsellor works in collaboration with the client to achieve his/her goal(s), through the therapeutic process.
15. PAYMENT: What form of payments do you accept?
We accept payment via our website, through PayPal, using your debit or credit card for online counselling: Video calls, Chat or Email. Please be aware that a 1.5% transaction fee is payable by clients opting to pay by credit card. We do not accept payment via American Express. Payment by cash is only accepted if this is agreed between you and your counsellor, for face-to-face counselling. Further payment instructions will be given on the day of your initial assessment.
16. SESSIONS: What sort of sessions do you conduct?
We conduct face-to-face counselling in a safe and comfortable environment; alternatively video call (Google), phone and online chat counselling sessions are also available. Each session will last 50 minutes, once a week, over an arranged period between the client and counsellor and will start and end on time. The counselling therapy can be either short term or long term, depending on the individual and the issues they present. You will be allotted your own space to share without interruptions.
17. SUPERVISION: Are counsellors supervised for their work with clients?
All counsellors are competent, well-trained and fully qualified professionals, who are part of this promising practice. The counselling services provided by Silverset Counselling Service (SCS), are conducted under the close supervision of qualified supervisors, on a monthly basis.
Our counsellors are available by appointment only and can be contacted via the numbers stated above and via email. You can contact us to book an initial half-hr assessment and subsequent counselling sessions.
FOR CLINICAL SUPERVISION:
We offer an Integrative approach to groups and individual professionals of various backgrounds, including qualified and Trainee Counsellors and Psychotherapists and those who wish to review their work with clients or service users.
Supervision is offered online (video call; Skype) and telephone sessions, accessible anywhere within the UK and further afield.
Clinical supervision helps maintain professionalism, whilst working with people who use different services and helps with professional and personal development.
The 7 Eyed Model is used effectively in supervision (developed by Hawkins and Shohet) as a self-awareness and practical approach in the supervisory journey and process.
• The Client and presentation of work
• Strategies and interventions
• Supervisee (Counsellor)-Client relationship
• The Supervisee (Counsellor)
• Supervisory relationship (Supervisor-Supervisee)
• The Supervisor’s process
• Supervisory work context
Supervision services are available at a low cost of £45.00.
(Concessionary fee is available for trainee counsellors/psychotherapists)
This service is for those who wish to review their work with clients or service users, helping with one's professional development, and personal development as well. For more information, please call us to book an appointment for an initial meeting if you wish to begin Clinical Supervision.
Phone: 0844 884 2719 or 0784 762 0103
18. TERMINATION: What if I want to terminate my contract before the therapy ends?
If you wish to terminate counselling before the number of sessions contracted for, please give at least two weeks’ notice. Furthermore, counselling sessions will terminate, upon agreement between you, the client and the counsellor, where it is deemed no progress can be made or where referring you on to another professional according to your specific need(s), is deemed necessary.
19. MOTTO: What is your Motto/Mission Statement?
To allow clients space to freely explore their past, share their experiences, to encourage them to work on issues in their current life, for a promising, more fulfilled and enriched future.
Our motto is: to carefully use the right words, said at the right time, in the right place, to the right person, in the right way and for the right purpose as....'a word fitly spoken in due season, is like apples of gold in Settings of Silver...' (Prov. 25:11)
20. CONTACT: If I have further questions, whom shall I refer to?
If you have further questions that are not listed above, please do not hesitate to contact us either by phone or email. When you call, please ask to speak with one of our Counsellors, who will be happy to assist you.
So please contact us today via text, email or phone call, to arrange a booking for your free
15-min assessment on the phone!! * * * * * *
Alternatively, if you prefer a face-to-face assessment, this can be arranged
1. AIMS in counselling- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 11. HOME VISITS
2. AGE LIMIT for seeking help - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -12. ISSUES not discussed in therapy
3. BOUNDARIES (counselling) - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 13. MOBILE PHONES
4. CONFIDENTIALITY - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 14. MULTICULTURALISM Counselling
5. COUNSELLING APPROACH - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 15. PAYMENT accepted
6. COUNSELLING AVAILABILITY - - - - - - - - - - - - - -16. SESSIONS conducted
7. COMPLAINT PROCEDURES - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -17. SUPERVISED Counsellors
8. ETHICAL STANDARDS - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 18. TERMINATION (therapy)
9. FEES per session - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 19. WHAT is your Motto /Mission Statement?
10. GROUP THERAPY - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 20. WHOM shall I contact?